This last Thursday, school started for Spence, Jocey & I. It turned out to be a great day for everyone! Spencer started middle school, Jocey 5th grade and I am teaching third grade. Although our life is beyond crazy, it is nice in a lot of ways to be back. I can't express how great it is to be living so close to school. It allows me the chance to see Jocey and Alyssa at school and run home for lunch to see Chris and Jace. Spence gets out of school an hour before the rest of us, so he walks up to visit me at school. 

Although I have been apprehensive to start a new grade, I am truly enjoying my class of 29 third graders! They are wonderful kids who are excited to learn. I am a little overwhelmed with the curriculum content for third grade. I have spent a lot of time going over the core curriculum, mapping out how to cover everything by the end of the year. There has also been a big emphasis placed on differentiating the curriculum for every student. Teachers, in general, have always had this as a main concern. You can guess how difficult this is when class sizes are so big. I know I am not alone when I say I have lost a lot of sleep thinking of strategies to help individual students in their learning. If any of you have any great activities that would enrich my curriculum, please let me know. 
I work with a couple of great teachers. I appreciate their help very much!
In the next couple of weeks, Alyssa will be starting Kindergarten, Jace will attend Early Intervention and Chris will begin classes.
Saturday, August 16, 2008
School's in Session!
Posted by Marie Holmes at 8:25 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Wow I can't believe you have 29 students in your class! I think you will really like teaching 3rd grade. It sounds like your family will be really busy with Chris in School and you teaching full day, but I am sure you will be able to balance it all. I know how you feel when you go out of town. It is hard to add any extras but I do hope we can see each other soon.
Wow, I am excited for you guys. You are an amazing teacher, Mer. Your students are lucky to have you!
I am dying that Spence is in middle school--aaahhhh--he is growing up so fast!!
We miss you guys!
Post a Comment