Wednesday, February 27, 2008

School Days

Besides family, teaching school is a major part of my life. I teach extended-day kindergarten every afternoon from 12:30 to 3:30 at South Elementary. It is the same school I attended as a child and it is also the school that my own kids attend. My job teaching in the extended day program allows 16 students, selected from the regular kindergarten classes, the chance to complete a full day schedule with me in the afternoon. These students are given the extra time they need to master skills that they are struggling with. This is the fourth year I have taught ext. day kindergarten and I have found it to be one of the most rewarding jobs I have done. The students in the class usually make a lot of progress and excel when they move on to first grade. I am so excited that the legislature is recognizing the importance of early intervention in the schools! Hopefully we will continue moving onward and upward.

3 comments:

The Bryner Bunch said...

I am sure that your students just love you! What a rewarding job.

It was fun seeing your parents today and Jen, Matt, and the kids are so excited to see you this weekend! Have fun!

Unknown said...

Cute pics and a cute post! I am sure you are the greatest teacher--your kids look so happy!

Can't wait to see you guys this weekend!

Kate Rosenvall said...

What a perfect job. I agree...I think that early intervention needs to be implemented more. I'm sure your students LOVE you as their teacher!